Bring on the Bling

Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

Someone once told me that when we coast through life, we're going at a downhill grade. It doesn't have to be very big of a grade, but just 0.00001% of a degree. Think about it. If you kicked your car into neutral on a flat surface, or even at a slight incline, it wouldn't coast. Now, put your car on a road that ever so slightly downgrades, and you'll find yourself coasting. Life is the same way. If I'm not learning, making myself better, reaching goals; I'm coasting at a slight downgrade. I'm not okay with that. I don't like to be stagnant, and I have struggled to understand why others choose to do so. I (gratefully) blame mom for this. She is always looking for ways to better herself, serve others, gain more knowledge. This mindset has influenced me greatly.

Everyone has an opinion about New Year Resolutions, so why should I be any different? I know what works for me and that's enough. I've seen plenty of Facebook posts, Tweets, and articles on the best way to make and keep resolutions, and what I've come to realize is that people just aren't motivated to better themselves. A coworker told me that he was "as good as he's going to be," and that he didn't need to change anything about himself. How boring. How sad. After living on my own for the last few years, I've learned that I need to keep progressing and making myself better...not for a future husband, my friends, or my family. For me.

This past Christmas/NYE season has been a whirlwind of travel, family, fun times, and traditions. As such, I haven't had a lot of time recently to sit down and write my resolutions. Even now, I'm at work on my lunch break. I won't finish in the precious few minutes I have left, so I'm sure I'll be finishing this later tonight at home. I like to make lists for myself. Sometimes I feel like I'm SJP's character from "I Don't Know How She Does It," when she wakes up in the morning with her lists for the day already started. I like my NYRs to be the same way: written down. They are constant reminders of what I want to work on. I'm not perfect. Nobody is, but we can strive for it.

This year, I'm changing things up a bit. In addition to writing down my resolutions, I'll be including 2-3 reasons why I've made it a resolution. I don't need a reason to have a resolution, but it helps me when I start to waiver a little bit. A few of my resolutions are:

**Go to the temple at least once a month
**Read my scriptures every day (Instagram helps make this easy to do...more on that later)
**Make travel a priority
**Blog at least once a week
**Work out 3 times a week
**Take the train to work every day

Obviously I have more resolutions, but they're very personal and not something that I want to share.

Quick recap from NYE: went to a party at my friend's house and believe me when I say that I brought the party!

No comments :

Post a Comment