Bring on the Bling

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

H2O

Some days, I think I was born to a family of mermaids. I love to swim, whether it's in the ocean, pool, or lake. Our complex opened the pool the weekend before Memorial Day, and I couldn't be happier! I have been in the pool 6 days/week and look forward to swimming after work. I think that swimming/being in the water can help ease any pain. A few weeks ago, my coworker and I were involved in a very stressful situation with someone and I didn't know how I was going to be able to relax after the first day of it. When I got home and realized that I couldn't relax, I decided to go for a swim...and then something magical happened. Life didn't seem so hard, and the situation didn't seem like the end of the world. Okay, maybe I'm being over-dramatic. The situation really didn't bother me too much after the first hour or so. However, the freedom that came with swimming was amazing.

Lately when my coworkers have asked what my plans for the evening are, the first thing I say is "I'm going swimming for a while" and then whatever else. I look forward to it. I love it. I love the feeling of freedom in the water (even with the little kids screaming and getting in my way), and how my mind seems to clear when I'm in the water. I always start thinking about my to-do list for Germany, packing, planning things, etc...but then everything leaves my mind and all I can think about is breathing. Slow and steady, focusing on my arms, hands, and legs. Pushing water away from me. Practicing swimming the length of the pool, starting in the water, with only one breath. I must admit, I have to make a few attempts before it actually happens.

Another side benefit of being in the water daily is that my skin is going back to it's normal color. I'm not out long enough to burn...just to get sun-kissed. I've been secretly bothered by how pale I've gotten, but not anymore! Aunt Mel posted a TBT picture of me and a few family members from about 15 years ago. I would have been about 14-15. Man, was I dark! Ugh, to be that color again would be a dream come true!

No comments :

Post a Comment